Friday, February 26, 2010

DESPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES

After an afternoon/evening filled with nursing (YEAH!), I couldn't get THE MONKEY to nurse before bed. I tried a few different things and after hearing him scream for more than an hour, I just didn't want to have to listen to it much longer. I felt bad for him. I created this issue and I just wanted to find something that would fix it quickly and easily for all parties involved. I feel horrible that I am making him go through this but it really is best for all of us, that I am sure of.

I even tried giving him a bath with his bath time soap to soothe him and calm him down a bit. He loved it. He's always loved his baths. Regardless, it didn't work. I was hoping that he'd calm down and want to nurse in the bath with me, but nope.

I finally thought of a solution.

THE MONKEY's problem is that he's developed a nipple preference (for the bottle) as the milk flows right away and now he doesn't want to wait for my letdown. My solution?! Have him latch on and when he does, insert an eye dropper into the corner of his mouth and add a TINY bit of expressed milk to make him patient enough to wait for let down.

Did it work?! YES!

Success!

Stephanie M.
jrsmama2009@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! I wish I'd thought to mention! We did something really similar for the first couple of weeks until my milk came in! (I just didn't realize it was a patience thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great idea! My sis-in-law is having a little difficulty with my 11 day old niece... I'll pass your link to her to read... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness... You are a GENIUS!!!

    ReplyDelete

❤Share the love and leave me a comment below!❤