Friday, December 11, 2009

ONE MONTH: TRIUMPH!

Tomorrow officially marks one month since I've given birth to The Monkey. One month since I witnessed the most beautiful journey of my life. Endured the worst pain of my life. One month.
As I look back on this incredible journey and the amazing experience this past month has been, I'm trying to summarize it in one word. One word, people! That isn't easy! If I had to choose one word and only one word.. I would have to use: Triumphant!
I use "triumph" because not only have I graduated from the woman role to the "mommy" role, but I've also participated in the most extraordinary event of anyone's life; bringing a child, your own flesh and blood, into the world. Not only did I spent 7 hours trying to coax the child out of me, with a little help, I also spent a good 2 hours pushing the little guy out. I've also spent the last month growing more than I could have dreamed of and learned more than I could have ever imagined. About my son and myself.
I've learned that cold hands and a baby's bottom DON'T mix well.
I've learned that you really do bleed for the 4-6 weeks like they say.
I've learned that someone so small can cause damage to unsuspecting nipples!
I've learned that babies can and will projectile poop, especially when a diaper is no where to be found.
I've learned that it is possible for a baby to poop and pee 3-4 times in a row, within seconds of each other and ruin a good pile of diapers, within minutes.
Most importantly, I've learned that my priorities have changed.
Now...
I'd rather stay in bed and cuddle my son than getting up and jumping on the internet.
I'd rather change his diaper than tend to the fire.
I'd rather burp him or rock him than answer the door.
I'd rather nurse him than jump up to answer the phone (right, sheri?!)
I'd rather spend my afternoon with him, than with anyone else, (with my husband, too, of course!)
I would rather spend my time, with my family, than worrying about what everyone else is doing or saying.
With that I will leave with a letter:
Dear Jeffrey,
My gorgeous baby boy. This past month has flown so fast that it makes Mommy sad to think you're already a month old. It's been so amazing to see you everyday. To wake up and see your precious little face, next to Mommy's and Daddy's bed. It's been so overwhelming to watch you grow a little bit every single day. You make us so proud. I spend 24 hours a day with you and I still feel like I can't get enough. You are so perfect. I love watching your facial expressions, your little puckers when someone kisses you in your sleep. Your frowns when you're dreaming. We joke that you're dreaming of a milk shortage. You LOVE your milk, that is for sure! It's so amazing to see how much your dad loves you. As soon as he comes home the first thing he does is run in to say hello to you. Then he changes into his comfy cloths and immediately asks, "can I have him now?" It makes my heart skip a beat every time I hear that.
You've grown so much! You're now growing out of your newborn cloths and are officially in 0-3 month sizes. You're simply too long for newborn stuff, anymore. You're so tall and skinny that the waists of everything are way too big and often fall down, but if we put you in smaller sizes, they're too short in the legs and tend to look like shorts. All your newborn hats are now too small and you can no longer wear newborn diapers. It makes me sad to think you'll never fit in that size, again, but so proud all in the same. To watch you grow is amazing.
You've started following people with your eyes, just recently and have also started to look for people when they talk to you. For some reason you like looking at people's foreheads and eyebrows, but then again, your cousin JJ did the same thing. Just this past couple days you've started trying to "talk" to me and Daddy. You often coo and squawk and we're convinced that you're trying to tell us a story. I swear you try to tell Daddy all about your day when he finally gets home to hold you. You're the best cuddle bug and the best sleeper, I couldn't ask for anything better in a son. You, my boy, are perfect!
I look forward to watching you grow, each and every day.
I love you, my son!
Love Mommy
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

  1. That's so sweet! For some reason your updates don't show up on my blogger dashboard anymore, so I have to make sure to make it over here more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Stephanie... You just made my eyes and nose burn trying to fight back the tears that streamed down my face as I was reading your update. You JERK! LOL That was too precious! And yes.... I read my name in there and couldn't help but to smile! I know you have better priorities now, and now that your a "mommy" We understand just what you mean.... It's amazing how children change your life and it's amazing to see every part of their journey. Just when you start to think one phase is your favorite, another favorite starts. It NEVER gets old. My kids are older and I just LOVE watching them learn and create stuff for "mommy" and of coarse "daddy" too. Aweee you are going to have so much fun with that buger. I can't wait! Luv u girly!

    ReplyDelete

❤Share the love and leave me a comment below!❤