If you're wondering how to clean your cloth diapers, I suggest you read the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Here's a few ways that I've found:
Many companies suggest you pre-wash your cloth diaper 5-10 times before the first use. This is to remove all the chemicals and oils from manufacturing. This may seem a bit extreme but it will help increase the absorbency of the diapers.
*none of these methods work for washing wool - I have no experience in washing wool so I haven't added any tips for fear of confusing myself and you! :) *
Overnight Soak Method:
* Prewash - Place all your cloth diapers in the wash and run a prewash in cold water. This will remove most of the loose particles from the soiled cloth diapers.
* Overnight soak - Rerun a cold wash, let it agitate for a minute or two then turn it off and let the diapers soak overnight. Now spin the diapers to remove the excess dirty water.
* Hot wash - Run a regular hot wash with 1/4 of the recommended amount of additive free detergent (we recommend Rockin' Green Soap!)
* Extra Rinse - Run an extra cold rinse to remove as much of the soap, as possible.
* Pre-soak - Run a cold water pre-soak and let the diapers soak for an hour or two. Drain.
* Hot wash - Run a normal hot wash with 1/4 of the recommended amount of additive free detergent.
* Extra rinse - Run an extra cold rinse to remove all the extra soap.
No Soak Method:
* Cold wash - Run a normal cold wash cycle.
* Hot wash - Run a normal hot wash cycle with 1/4 of the recommended amount of additive free detergent.
* Extra rinse - Run a normal cold rinse cycle.
There are also a few no-no's when it comes laundering cloth diapers:
- It's recommended that you DO NOT use fabric softener, vinegar, or any soap with whiteners, brighteners, softeners, additives, etc.
- It's also recommended that you don't use any rash creams as it could cause the diapers to start repelling.
If you were paying attention, you noticed that I hid a code somewhere throughout this post, too. If you actually read this and noticed the code, please submit a comment with the code word as well as your email address. It will give you 5 extra entries into each giveaway during our Fluffy Bottom Cloth Diaper Event. *Your email address will only be used to notify you if you win!*
Please add your code comment below. The comments will not be visible until after this comment closes at 11:59pm, PST! Any comments left after 11:59pm, PST will be disqualified and will be deleted.
Please don't post the bonus code entries, yourself. I have a system going and will enter them for you, at the end of each giveaway, after it has closed. You will not see them in the entries but they will be counted!